In areas that see a lot of ice and snow during the winter, having winter wheels is a must. With the right tires, driving will be safer because there will be less sliding and better traction. With this information, vehicle owners will learn more about the benefits of this type of tire, so they can decide whether or not they should make a purchase.
What Are the Benefits?
Having winter tires installed on a vehicle can greatly benefit drivers in many ways. The following offers information on the benefits of using these tires and some of the components that make them different from traditional all-weather tires.
- A tire that is made for winter is constructed of special compounds that are meant to stay more resilient during the cold months of the year. Traditional tires can begin to harden significantly when the temperature drops too low. When the rubber begins to harden, it cannot effectively grip the road as it should, so traction is greatly reduced.
- This type of tire features a more aggressive tire tread which is meant to cut through ice and snow and allow the rubber to grip the road effectively. Because the tire tread is so aggressive, there is less accumulation of snow in the tread pattern which means better traction.
- With this type of tire, drivers will be able to brake up to 30% more efficiently than with all-weather tires. Braking can be tedious on the ice, and when drivers use this type of tire, they will find much safer braking.
- Hydroplaning is less of an issue when individuals are using a tire that is made for winter weather. The special grooves in the tires help to push melting ice to the side, instead of allowing it to puddle beneath the tires and lead to slippery areas.
- Those who need to purchase tires for driving in snow will find their tires to be slightly thinner than normal all-weather tires. The reason for the width change is a thinner tire means more pressure per square inch, so snow is less of a problem. This type of tire is better able to cut through snow without causing sliding and the potential for wrecks.
Seek a Professional Install
Having the right tires installed for winter weather is essential in parts of the country where snow and ice are common during the winter months. It is important to have these tires properly installed by a professional and balanced, so they will be able to hold up to the onslaught of winter weather.
Although some drivers put chains over their tires, these cannot offer the same true benefits of properly installed winter weather tires. Before choosing any tires, it is essential individuals read up on the benefits and reviews of each type, so they will be able to make the best decision.
If you are in need of these tires, make sure to call today to set up an appointment. With the right tires in place, you will be able to rest assured driving will be safer in the snow and ice.